Approximate Cook Time: 2 hours
- 2 tablespoon(s) coconut oil, tallow or lard
- 1 pound(s) beef - stew meat, cubed
- 6 ounce(s) beef stock
- 1 large onion(s), diced
- 1 medium garlic clove(s), minced or sliced
- 2 medium carrot(s)
- 2 can(s) tomatoes, diced (28 oz), or crushed with juice
- 5 ounce(s) wine, red
- 1 teaspoon(s) oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon(s) basil, dried
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, add beef and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup stock and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add onions and garlic, and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions soften.
- Add remaining stock, browned beef, carrots, tomatoes, red wine, oregano and basil.
- Cover and simmer on low for at least 1 hour (or until beef is tender).