This paleo stew recipe takes ordinary ingredients like beef, carrots, onions and tomatoes and makes them into a healthy, hearty stew. Red wine, dried oregano and basil give the dish a beautiful flavor. Feel free to increase the flavor with a couple of bay leaves and some celery salt. Other vegetables can be added as well, including mushrooms, peppers, green beans, peas, spinach, or leeks. Try sprinkling the paleo stew with fresh chopped parsley right before serving.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Paleo Beef Stew
Total Time: 120 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
- 2 tablespoon(s) coconut oil tallow or lard
- 1 pound(s) beef - stew meat cubed
- 3/4 cup(s) beef stock
- 1 large onion(s) diced
- 1 medium garlic clove(s) minced or sliced
- 2 medium carrot(s)
- 2 can(s) tomatoes, diced (28 oz) or crushed with juice
- 2/3 cup(s) wine, red
- 1 teaspoon(s) oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon(s) basil, dried
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, add beef and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup stock and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add onions and garlic, and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions soften.
- Add remaining stock, browned beef, carrots, tomatoes, red wine, oregano and basil.
- Cover and simmer on low for at least 1 hour (or until beef is tender).