Makes 4 servings.
Approximate cooking time: 2 hours
- 2 TB. coconut oil, tallow or lard
- 1 lb. beef stew meat, cubed
- 6 fl. oz. beef stock
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced or sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 (28 oz. each) cans diced or crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 5 fl. oz. red wine
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, add beef and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup stock and use a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add onions and garlic, and continue to cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions soften.
- Add remaining stock, browned beef, carrots, tomatoes, red wine, oregano and basil.
- Cover and simmer on low for at least 1 hour (or until beef is tender).
NOTE: This recipe can also be prepared in a slow cooker. Simply brown the meet, onions and garlic ahead of time, and place all ingredients into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours, or high for 2 to 3 hours, or until beef is tender.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Keep up to date with Paleo Plan news, recipes, and blog posts.