Recipe makes 4 servings.
Approximate Cook Time: 60 minutes
|3||medium||parsnip(s), peeled and grated, about 3/4 lb for 4 servings|
|11/2||medium||zucchini, sliced, about 1/2 lb for 4 servings|
|1/4||pound(s)||mushrooms, white button, cremini or shitaake, sliced|
|1||medium||celery stalk(s), diced|
|1/2||medium||onion(s), red, finely diced|
|2||medium||onion(s), green, sliced|
|1/2||teaspoon(s)||black pepper, freshly ground|
|8||large||egg white(s), divided|
|1/2||cup(s)||parsley, fresh, chopped|
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Peel parsnips and grate with a cheese grater. Mix with onion salt and olive oil, and set aside.
- Cook bacon slice in a large saute pan over medium heat. Save bacon fat and leave it in the pan. Cool bacon slice, crumble, and set aside.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, and celery to the pan with the bacon fat and saute until slightly softened.
- Heat a separate pan over medium-high heat, and add coconut oil when hot. Add onions, ground turkey, Italian seasoning, celery salt and black pepper to taste. Saute until turkey is fully cooked.
- Combine meat and vegetables in one pan and mix thoroughly. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Combine 4 egg whites with parsley and stir into the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Combine the other 4 egg whites with parsnips.
- Coat an 8x8 baking dish with olive oil.
- Add meat and vegetable mixture, cover with parsnip mixture and top with crumbled bacon.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top begins to brown.