Makes 4 hearty servings.
Approximate cooking time: 60 minutes
Original recipe from here.
- 2 Tbs bacon grease
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 cups water or broth (beef, chicken or vegetable)
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 6 large white mushrooms
- 4 medium carrots, sliced (or a few handfuls of baby carrots, sliced)
- 1 (14-oz) package frozen spinach , thawed and well drained (or any other greens you love)
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs parsley
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground marjoram
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (optional)
- Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, add bacon grease and onion. Brown slightly (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add stew meat and brown (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat down to medium-low, and add all other ingredients.
- Simmer for 35-45 minutes, or until beef is tender.