Makes dinner for two, with leftovers for lunch.
Approximate cooking time: 3-8 hours
- 2 Tbs beef tallow (coconut oil may be substituted, but must be used carefully to avoid smoking and burning)
- 1 (2-3 lb) lean beef pot roast, rump roast, or chuck shoulder
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 3 carrots, quartered
- 2 celery stalks
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbs thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- sea salt (optional)
- 3 cups water
- Mix freshly ground black pepper, thyme, oregano and sea salt (optional) together in a small bowl.
- Rub mixture into meat on all sides of roast.
- Heat a medium skillet (if cooking in a crock pot) or heavy bottomed oven-proof pan (if cooking in the oven) over high heat. Add 2 Tbs tallow when hot.
- Immediately sear all sides of the roast and set aside.
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Put roast in crock pot, add vegetables, bay leaf and water, and cook on high until tender (6-7 hours). Or, preheat oven to 325℉, add the vegetables, bay leaf and water to the heavy bottomed oven-proof pan with the meat, cover and roast for 2-3 hours.