Makes 2 servings. Add a cooked chicken breast and replace the pine nuts with walnuts for a heartier variation.
Approximate cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1/4 cup olive or coconut oil
- 1 lb watercress, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and diced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a heavy 12-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic clove and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove the garlic and discard.
- Add all the nuts to the garlic-infused oil and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until they are browned (stir constantly to prevent burning).
- Add bacon, sea salt (if desired), and black pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Rinse and dry watercress. Add it to the oil.
- Working quickly, toss watercress into mixture, making sure it is well coated and barely heated through (if left too long it loses some of its crispiness).
- Season to taste and serve immediately.