Makes dinner for two, with leftovers for lunch.
Approximate cooking time: 2-1/2 hours
- 1-1/2 lb veal shanks or roast
- 3 Tbs olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350℉.
- Place veal in a single layer in a heavy roasting pan.
- Sprinkle with oil, lemon juice, and pepper. Cover with onion, celery, carrot and tomatoes.
- Cover and roast for 1-1/2 hours or until meat falls off the bone.
- Uncover and brown for 30 minutes longer, adding water if necessary.