Cilantro, jalapeno peppers, garlic and cumin combine to make a delicious marinade for grilled shrimp in this recipe. Feel free to sauté the shrimp instead of grilling if you prefer. These are very tasty served with a simple garlic-cilantro sauce. Recipe submitted by Justin.
|Marinade for Shrimp Kebabs|
|1||pound(s)||shrimp, jumbo, peeled and deveined|
|3/4||cup(s)||cilantro, fresh, rinsed and coarsely chopped|
|4||medium||jalapeno pepper(s), seeded and coarsely chopped (for hotter shrimp, leave the seeds in)|
|6||medium||onion(s), green, chopped|
|1||teaspoon(s)||black pepper, freshly ground|
|2||medium||garlic clove(s), chopped|
|metal or bamboo skewers, (2 for each shrimp)|
|Garlic Cilantro Sauce|
|3||tablespoon(s)||cilantro, fresh, rinsed and coarsely chopped|
|1||medium||garlic clove(s), chopped|
|1/4||teaspoon(s)||sea salt, to taste|
- Thread the shrimp onto 2 parallel skewers, using 2 skewers for each kebab. Arrange the kebabs in a shallow glass or ceramic dish.
- Place cilantro, jalapenos, green onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cumin in a food processor and finely chop. With the machine running, add 1/4 cup olive oil and lime juice through the feed tube and puree. Pour over shrimp and let marinate in the refrigerator, covered for 30 minutes.
- Shortly before meal time, make Garlic Cilantro Sauce.
- To Make Garlic Cilantro Sauce:
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add garlic, salt and cilantro and cook until the garlic is golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Keep the cilantro sauce warm until ready to use.
- Prepare grill.
- When ready to cook, drain and discard marinade from kebabs. Place shrimp kebabs on the hot grate and baste with garlic and cilantro sauce. Continue to baste and grill until just cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes per side until shrimp are pinkish white and firm.
- Pour any remaining garlic cilantro sauce over top and serve with fresh lime wedges.