Makes dinner for two, with leftovers for lunch.
Recipe submitted by Justin.
Approximate cooking time: 30 minutes, with an additional 30 minutes to marinate
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 bunch cilantro, rinsed and coarsely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped (for hotter shrimp, leave the seeds in)
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- metal or bamboo skewers (2 for each shrimp)
- 2 additional limes, cut into wedges
- Thread the shrimp onto 2 parallel skewers, using 2 skewers for each kebab. Arrange the kebabs in a shallow glass or ceramic dish.
- Set aside 3 Tbs cilantro for the garlic cilantro sauce. Place remaining cilantro, jalapenos, green onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cumin in a food processor and finely chop. With the machine running, add 1/4 cup olive oil and lime juice through the feed tube and puree. Pour over shrimp and let marinate in the refrigerator, covered for 30 minutes.
- Shortly before meal time, heat remaining oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add garlic and reserved cilantro and cook until the garlic is golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. keep the cilantro sauce warm until ready to use.
- Prepare grill.
- When ready to cook, drain and discard marinade from kebabs. Place shrimp kebabs on the hot grate and baste with garlic and cilantro sauce. Continue to baste and grill until just cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes per side until shrimp are pinkish white and firm.
- Pour any remaining garlic cilantro sauce over top and serve with fresh lime wedges.