Makes dinner for two, with leftovers for lunch.
Approximate cooking time: 45 minutes
- sea salt (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 4 (4-6 oz each) skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 6 Tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 medium red bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450℉.
- Combine 1/2 tsp salt, fennel seeds, 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper, garlic powder and oregano.
- Brush chicken with 2 tsp oil, and sprinkle spice rub over chicken.
- Heat a large skillet over med-high heat, and add 2 tsp olive oil.
- Add chicken and cook 3 minutes or until browned. Turn each piece and cook 1 minute more.
- Remove chicken from pan and arrange in a large baking dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat in the same large skillet used to brown the chicken (do not wash it first).
- When pan is hot, add shallots and rosemary, and sauté 3-5 minutes, or until shallots are translucent.
- Add peppers, and stir in broth, scraping pan to loosen brown bits.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add vinegar and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook 3 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- Serve sauce over chicken.