Makes dinner for two, with leftovers for lunch.
Approximate cooking time: 30 minutes
2 Tbs prepared horseradish, drained
1 Tbs plus 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs pure grade B maple syrup
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
1 Golden Delicious Apple, peeled and grated
1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled and grated
2 beef strip loin steaks (each 12 oz and 1 1/2" thick)
3 Tbs olive oil
2 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves removed from stem
- Arrange oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine horseradish, vinegar, lemon juice, syrup, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir grated apples into horseradish mixture. Set aside.
- Heat 12" ovenproof skillet on high. Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp EACH of salt and pepper. Add 1 Tbs oil to pan and swirl to coat bottom evenly. When oil shimmers and is almost smoking, add steaks.
- Cook 2 min. With tongs, lift each steak from pan and put back down on SAME side. Cook 1 minute longer, then turn steaks over. Transfer pan to lowest rack of oven and roast for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 Tbs olive oil and thyme in a small bowl. Baste steak with melted mixture. Roast 2-3 minutes longer for medium-rare, or until desired temperature is reached.
- Remove pan from oven and baste again. Transfer steaks to cutting board, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- Slice steaks against the grain at an angle. Spoon steak juices on top and serve with apple relish.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Keep up to date with Paleo Plan news, recipes, and blog posts.