Recipe makes 4 servings.
Approximate Cook Time: 30 minutes
|2||tablespoon(s)||horseradish, prepared and drained|
|12/3||tablespoon(s)||apple cider vinegar|
|1||tablespoon(s)||maple syrup, pure grade B|
|3/4||teaspoon(s)||sea salt, (optional) to taste|
|3/4||teaspoon(s)||black pepper, (optional) freshly ground to taste|
|1||medium||apple(s), (Golden Delicious) peeled and grated|
|Basting Sauce and Steaks|
|2||piece(s)||beef - strip loin steak(s) (12 oz)|
|3||tablespoon(s)||olive oil, divided|
|2||tablespoon(s)||thyme, fresh, leaves removed from stem|
- Arrange oven rack in lowest position. Preheat oven to 450 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine horseradish, vinegar, lemon juice, syrup, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir grated apples into horseradish mixture. Set aside.
- Heat 12 inch ovenproof skillet on high. Pat steaks dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon EACH of salt and pepper. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan and swirl to coat bottom evenly. When oil shimmers and is almost smoking, add steaks.
- Cook 2 min. With tongs, lift each steak from pan and put back down on SAME side. Cook 1 minute longer, then turn steaks over. Transfer pan to lowest rack of oven and roast for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine 2 tablespoons olive oil and thyme in a small bowl. Baste steak with melted mixture. Roast 2-3 minutes longer for medium-rare, or until desired temperature is reached.
- Remove pan from oven and baste again. Transfer steaks to cutting board, cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- Slice steaks against the grain at an angle. Spoon steak juices on top and serve with apple relish.