Makes 4 servings.
Approximate cooking time: 45-60 minutes
- 5-6 beets (about 3"-4" each)
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup (Grade B recommended)
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 325℉.
- Wash beets and slice into quarters. Cut each quarter into 1/4" slices.
- Put beets on baking sheet. Add olive oil, sea salt and pepper and mix together completely. Spread beets out again on baking sheet.
- Roast for 25 to 45 minutes, checking often. Remove from oven when slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, combine vinegar and maple syrup in a small pan over high heat. Cook until vinegar has reduced to a syrup-like consistency, stirring often. Remove from heat.
- When beets are fully cooked, pour glaze over top and sprinkle with freshly grated orange zest.