Kanten, also called agar-agar, is a vegetable gelatin compliments of Martha Stewart’s whole living
Approximate Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium cantaloupe(s), halved and seeded (about 3 lbs)
- 1 wedge(s) watermelon, seedless, (about 2 lbs)
- 3 cup(s) apple cider, or apple juice
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1/3 cup(s) kanten flakes
- 1/4 cup(s) honey, raw
- Scoop out cantaloupe and watermelon with a melon baller (yields about 8 c. total) and put in a 9x5" (8 cup) loaf pan; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring cider, water and kanten to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the kanten is dissolved, about 5 min.
- Turn off heat and stir in honey until dissolved; cool to room temperature.
- Pour cooled liquid over the melon and set aside at room temperature until set, about 3 hours.
- Invert the kanten onto a platter.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.