Make 6-8 Servings
Approximate prep and cook time: 30 minutes
Kanten, also called agar-agar, is a vegetable gelatin compliments of Martha Stewart’s whole living
- 1 cantaloupe (about 3 lbs), halved and seeded
- 1 wedge seedless watermelon (about 2 lbs)
- 3 c. apple cider or apple juice
- 1 c. water
- 1/3 c. kanten flakes
- 1/4 c. honey
- Scoop out cantaloupe and watermelon with a melon baller (yields about 8 c. total) and put in a 9x5" (8 c) loaf pan; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring cider, water and kanten to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the kanten is dissolved, about 5 min.
- Turn off heat and stir in honey until dissolved; cool to room temperature.
- Pour cooled liquid over the melon and set aside at room temperature until set, about 3 hours.
- Invert the kanten onto a platter
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Slice into individual portions and serve.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Keep up to date with Paleo Plan news, recipes, and blog posts.