Great for company and easy to freeze leftovers.
Recipe makes 10 servings.
Approximate Cook Time: 90 minutes
|1||large||onion(s), yellow, diced|
|2||teaspoon(s)||sea salt, (optional)|
|2||pound(s)||beef - stew meat, cut into 1inch x1inch cubes|
|2||can(s)||tomatoes, diced (28 oz)|
|2||can(s)||green chilis (4 oz), diced|
|1/2||can(s)||jalapenos (4 oz), diced (may add more if desired)|
|1/2||teaspoon(s)||thyme, dried, dried|
|8||medium||mushrooms, white button, sliced|
|1||medium||zucchini, yellow, diced|
|1||large||bell pepper(s), red, diced|
|5||large||kale leaves, shredded|
|1||tablespoon(s)||cilantro, fresh, for garnish|
|1||medium||onion(s), green, (about 1 tablespoon) for garnish|
|1||can(s)||coconut milk, full fat (403 mL), (placed in the fridge for a few hours)|
- Heat large soup pot over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add coconut oil and onion to pot and brown slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine chili powder, sea salt, cumin and garlic salt in a large dish. Roll raw beef stew meat in the mixture to coat on all sides.
- When onions have browned slightly, add beef and brown on all sides.
- Add the diced tomatoes. Fill the empty can with water and add to the pot. Add green chilis, jalepenos, chipotle peppers, mushrooms, carrots, oregano, thyme and bay leaf. Turn heat down to medium and cook for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini and red pepper, and cook for another 20 minutes.
- Add kale and finish cooking for 10 more minutes. Season with sea salt if desired.
- Serve with sliced green onions, fresh cilantro and a dollop of thickened coconut milk from the top of the can.