Recipe and photos submitted by Ruth Stewart
Approximate Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoon(s) coconut oil, or olive oil
- 8 ounce(s) squid (steak(s) or piece(s))
- 4 teaspoon(s) poblano pepper(s), chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
- 7 large basil, fresh, chopped (add more for garnish if desired)
- 1 can(s) tomatoes, fire roasted diced (15 oz)
- 1 teaspoon(s) sea salt, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper, freshly ground
- Heat oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, add poblano peppers and garlic, and saute briefly (2-3 minutes).
- Add tomatoes and basil, and simmer 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a clean pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp olive or coconut oil.
- Meanwhile, season both sides of each squid steak with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper if desired (or toss pieces in mixture).
- When the pan is hot, add squid and cook briefly until warm (1 minute per side). DO NOT overcook or it will become very tough and chewy.
- Place each squid steak on a plate and top with tomato mixture. Garnish with basil leaves if desired.