Makes dinner for two.
Approximate cooking time: 20 minutes
Recipe and photos submitted by Ruth Stewart
- coconut or olive oil
- 7-8 oz squid (steaks or pieces)
- 4 tsp Poblano peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6-7 large basil leaves, chopped (add more for garnish if desired)
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- sea salt (optional)
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat.
- When pan is hot, add poblano peppers and garlic, and saute briefly (2-3 minutes).
- Add tomatoes and basil, and simmer 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat a clean pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp olive or coconut oil.
- Meanwhile, season both sides of each squid steak with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper if desired (or toss pieces in mixture).
- When the pan is hot, add squid and cook briefly until warm (1 minute per side). DO NOT overcook or it will become very tough and chewy.
- Place each squid steak on a plate and top with tomato mixture. Garnish with basil leaves if desired.