Makes 8 servings.
Approximate cooking time: 60 minutes
- 2 Tbs coconut or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups broth (chicken, vegetable, beef, or bone broth are all fine)
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 oz jalapenos, canned and diced
- 1 large yam, diced
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped (or kale or any greens you love)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (whites and greens)
- juice of 1 lemon
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil, onion, garlic, carrot, thyme, and oregano, and saute until onion is softened and slightly translucent (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, mix 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl. Cut chicken thighs into 1" cubes and toss in sea salt and black pepper mixture.
- Add chicken to pot and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium, add broth, water, bay leaf, jalapenos, yam, chard, and green onions and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, season with remaining sea salt, black pepper, and fresh lemon juice.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Keep up to date with Paleo Plan news, recipes, and blog posts.