This Chicken, Yam, and Chard Soup recipe is warming and soothing for those cold fall and winter days, but could easily be enjoyed any time of year. The addition of fresh chard to this soup packs a nutritious punch and flavors from thyme, oregano, garlic, jalapeno and lemon meld together perfectly in this delicious Paleo soup recipe. Don’t like spice? Simply exclude the jalapenos. Likewise, you can exclude (or add) ingredients at your preference. This Paleo soup is quite versatile like that! If you enjoyed this Chicken, Yam and Chard Soup recipe, try our Ginger, Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup recipe next time. For more delicious Paleo soup recipes and other FREE Paleo recipes, visit the PaleoPlan recipe center.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Chicken, Yam, and Chard Soup
Total Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 2 tablespoon(s) coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 medium onion(s) diced
- 2 medium garlic clove(s) minced
- 1 medium carrot(s) chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon(s) sea salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper divided
- 2 pound(s) chicken thighs, boneless, skinless
- 4 cup(s) broth (chicken, vegetable, beef, or bone broth are all fine)
- 6 cup(s) water
- 1 whole bay leaf(s)
- 1/2 can(s) jalapenos (4 oz) diced
- 1 large yam(s) diced
- 1 bunch(es) chard chopped (or kale or any green you love)
- 7 medium onion(s), green sliced (whites and greens)
- 1 medium lemon(s) juiced
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil, onion, garlic, carrot, thyme, and oregano, and saute until onion is softened and slightly translucent (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, mix 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl. Cut chicken thighs into 1" cubes and toss in sea salt and black pepper mixture.
- Add chicken to pot and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium, add broth, water, bay leaf, jalapenos, yam, chard, and green onions and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, season with remaining sea salt, black pepper, and fresh lemon juice.