Makes 8 servings.
Approximate cooking time: 60 minutes
- 2 Tbs coconut or olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups broth (chicken, vegetable, beef, or bone broth are all fine)
- 6 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 oz jalapenos, canned and diced
- 1 large yam, diced
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped (or kale or any greens you love)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (whites and greens)
- juice of 1 lemon
- Heat large pot over medium-high heat. When hot, add oil, onion, garlic, carrot, thyme, and oregano, and saute until onion is softened and slightly translucent (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, mix 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a medium bowl. Cut chicken thighs into 1" cubes and toss in sea salt and black pepper mixture.
- Add chicken to pot and continue to cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium, add broth, water, bay leaf, jalapenos, yam, chard, and green onions and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Just before serving, season with remaining sea salt, black pepper, and fresh lemon juice.