This wonderful chicken breakfast scramble is given a Mediterranean twist with the addition of bell peppers, asparagus and olives. It is also open to a number of different variations according to your preference. Try it with zucchini, mushrooms and kale in place of the asparagus. Sausage also combines very well with these ingredients and can be used instead of the chicken breasts.
|1||teaspoon(s)||coconut oil, or lard, or tallow|
|1/4||pound(s)||asparagus, washed and cut into 1-2 inch pieces|
|1||medium||bell pepper(s), red, sliced|
|1||medium||garlic clove(s), minced|
|1/2||pound(s)||chicken breasts, boneless, skinless|
|1/2||cup(s)||olives, sliced; (optional, Castelveltrano recommended)|
|1/4||teaspoon(s)||sea salt, (optional)|
|1||tablespoon(s)||coconut oil, for cooking chicken|
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add 1 TB coconut oil or other cooking oil when hot. Season chicken with salt and pepper, if desired. Saute for 10-15 minutes turning once or twice until fully cooked. Dice chicken and set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and water together. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add coconut oil when pan is hot.
- Add asparagus, red pepper, and garlic, and sauté for 5 minutes, or until slightly tender.
- Add chicken, eggs, and olives (if desired). Stirring constantly, cook until vegetables are slightly tender, eggs are cooked, and chicken is heated through.
- Season with sea salt (if desired), and top with almonds and avocado to serve.