Peppery arugula replaces lettuce and toasty sunflower seeds replace bread in this non-traditional BLT.
Makes two salads.
Approximate cooking time: 20 minutes
- 4 thick cut bacon slices, diced
- 2 (4 oz each) b0neless, skinless chicken thighs, diced small
- 3-4 Tbs brine from peperoncinis
- 4 handfuls (cups) arugula
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 4 peperoncinis, sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
- Cook the diced bacon and chicken thighs over medium heat in a saute pan until fully cooked, stirring very frequently to prevent burning (about 12-15 minutes).
- Add brine to the bottom of the hot pan, and stir the browned bits into the cooked bacon and chicken. Remove from heat.
- Place arugula in a medium to large bowl. Pour the cooked bacon, chicken and drippings onto the arugula and toss to coat completely (add more brine or sea salt if desired).
- Divide the arugula into two bowls. Top with tomato, avocado, peperoncinis and sunflower seeds to serve.