As you may know, it’s dessert month at Paleo Plan! And this week’s recipe is Paleo style Vanilla Pound Cake, just like the kind my grandmother used to make (but without all the stuff that would make me feel terrible now ;)
Traditional pound cake is definitely delicious, but it gets its name from the ingredients: a pound of butter, pound of eggs, and a pound of flour. Not Paleo friendly by a long shot. Fortunately, you can make a Paleo pound cake that is moist, delicious, and not too sweet.
Paleo Vanilla Pound Cake
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2/3 cup solid coconut oil
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons coconut milk (full fat from a can)
- 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9×5 inch loaf pan with coconut oil.
2. Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl and sift.
3. Add the eggs to a mixing bowl and beat lightly.
4. Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, coconut milk, and vanilla. Beat lightly, but don’t overheat. It’s okay to have some small clumps of coconut oil; they’ll melt when you bake the cake.
5. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
6. Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Top this cake with fresh berries for a refreshing dessert, or serve it with whipped coconut cream. You can customize it by using lemon or orange extract instead of the vanilla. No matter how you make it, you are sure to enjoy it! Please let me know how it turns out in the comments!
- Calories 250
- Total Fat 19.1g
- Total Carbohydrates 16.3g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4g
- Sugars 11.6g
- Protein 3.8g
Special Sale: Paleo Plan Benefit for Matt McCabe
Matt McCabe is a friend of Paleo Plan who's been suddenly diagnosed with aggressive Multiple Sclerosis.
We're selling both of our ebooks for the heavily discounted price of $17 (normally $59) to raise money for him and his family.
100% of ALL money donated will go directly to the McCabe family.Paleo Plan eBooks - Quickstart Guide and Cleanse eBook
Benefit for Matt McCabe
Receive both ebooks with any donation over $17, and get a free year of Paleo Plan for all donations over $100 (new subscribers only). Sale through March 9th, 2014. (Not interested in paleo stuff but want to help, you can donate directly here.)