If you’re in the mood for something hearty and filling, this German Kielbasa with Broccoli Slaw and Cabbage recipe is a unique twist on the usual sausage and sauerkraut. You can buy broccoli slaw (thinly sliced broccoli, carrots, and cabbage) where you buy the bagged salads, so it’s easy to prepare this healthy meal. Then shred some more cabbage and you’ve got your veggies ready to go. If you can’t find broccoli slaw anywhere in your supermarket, just substitute it with extra cabbage or thinly slice up your own mix of broccoli, carrots, and cabbage.
Kielbasa is just Polish sausage – usually pork – but you can use any kind of bratwurst or other German sausage if you can’t find kielbasa. It doesn’t need to be pork, either – it can be lamb, turkey, chicken, buffalo or whatever. Remember, when choosing sausages, make sure you buy high quality meat – preferably pasture raised and/or organic – to keep it Paleo friendly and as healthy as can be. For more FREE and delicious Paleo recipes, visit our PaleoPlan Recipe Center.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
German Kielbasa with Broccoli Slaw and Cabbage
Total Time: 90 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
saturated fat 8.1g
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 small onion(s) chopped
- 2 medium garlic clove(s) minced
- 2 cup(s) broccoli slaw (found with the bagged salad mixes - use 2 cups of thinly sliced cabbage, carrots, and broccoli if you can't find it pre-bagged)
- 1/2 head(s) cabbage(s), green either green, purple or a mixture; shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) red pepper flakes (more if you want it hot!)
- 1 pound(s) pork kielbasa or other German sausage (can be substituted by sausage made with meat other than pork)
- 2 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup(s) water
- 1 tablespoon(s) caraway seeds
- Heat the olive oil on medium low in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the broccoli slaw and cabbage and stir. Season with salt and pepper and add the red pepper flakes.
- Add the sausage and cook until browned, and then stir in the apple cider vinegar and water.
- Continue cooking until vegetables are tender. Stir in the caraway seeds and serve.