Sometimes the same old flavors (or lack thereof) in Paleo dishes can get boring, so we’re trying to spice things up for you! If you like the sweet and spicy flavors often found on most Caribbean islands, you’ll love this easy-to-prepare Caribbean Jerk Chicken recipe. Hints of pineapple and lime pair well with the savory spices. Coconut aminos are a soy free seasoning sauce that makes a great substitution for soy sauce in all things Paleo, and you can find it in health food stores or online.
|1||small||onion(s), yellow, peeled and roughly chopped|
|1||medium||jalapeno pepper(s), de-seeded and chopped|
|1/4||cup(s)||apple cider vinegar|
|2||medium||garlic clove(s), minced|
|1/2||teaspoon(s)||nutmeg, fresh, grated|
|1/2||teaspoon(s)||red pepper flakes, crushed|
|1||cup(s)||cilantro, fresh, chopped|
|4||piece(s)||chicken breast(s), boneless skinless (4-6 oz)|
|1/4||teaspoon(s)||black pepper, freshly ground|
- Combine onion, jalapeno, coconut aminos, pineapple juice, olive oil, cider vinegar, lime juice, honey, garlic, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and crushed red pepper in a blender or food processor and blend until a smooth paste forms (about 1 to 2 minutes).
- In a shallow dish (or resealable bag) pour the marinade over chicken breasts add the ciltrantro on top. Cover (or close bag) and place in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat a gas or charcoal grill to high heat. NOTE: If you don't have a grill, simply heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- When grill is hot, remove chicken from marinade (save leftover marinade) and grill or sauté until internal temperature reaches 165 F (about 4 to 5 minutes on each side).
- While chicken is cooking, pour remaining marinade in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- When chicken is fully cooked, remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Before serving, brush chicken with remaining boiled glaze. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Serve alongside steamed vegetables or on top of fresh greens.