This quick and easy Paleo dish takes a classic combination of sausage, mushrooms and thyme and adds eggs and zucchini to make a filling and delicious breakfast casserole. We recommend assembling the casserole the night before, and then baking it in the morning – it will save you a ton of time and you will have a piping hot breakfast to start off your day right!
If you enjoyed this Sausage and Zucchini Breakfast Casserole recipe, try our
Creamy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole recipe next time. For even more Paleo casserole recipes and other scrumptious FREE Paleo recipes, visit the PaleoPlan recipe home page.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Sausage and Zucchini Breakfast Casserole
Total Time: 75 minutes
Cook Time: 75 minutes
- 3 medium zucchini trimmed
- 4 large mushroom(s), white button or cremini halved
- 1 large onion(s), yellow peeled and quartered
- 1 pound(s) sausage, ground breakfast
- 1/2 tablespoon(s) thyme, fresh (optional)
- 2 tablespoon(s) almond flour
- 6 large egg(s)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic, granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Place a grater blade on a medium or large food processor (or just use a box grater to shred the veggies by hand). Grate the zucchini, mushrooms and onion. With a paper towel, squeeze excess moisture out of the zucchini.
- Scrape the veggie mixture into the bottom of a 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish and lightly pat down to form an even surface.
- Crumble the raw sausage on top of the veggies. Sprinkle with fresh thyme and almond flour.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, granulated garlic, sea salt, and cayenne (optional) and whisk until eggs are a pale yellow (about 30 seconds).
- Pour egg mixture evenly over sausage and veggies in the baking dish. It should sink to the bottom of the pan.
- Place in oven and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until browned on top and cooked through. There will be some residual water from the vegetables.
- Cool at least 15 minutes. Slice into 4 servings and enjoy warm or cold.