Looking for something different to slow cook? Lamb stew meat is becoming increasing popular and available in stores and adds a nice and healthy variety to your meal repertoire. If you can’t find lamb stew meat, lamb shoulder also works well for stewing, and you can cut it into one and a half inch pieces yourself or have the butcher prepare it for you. Boneless chicken thighs will also work wonderfully in this recipe if you’re not a lamb fan.
If you enjoyed this Crockpot Lamb Curry Stew recipe, then try our Lamb Ragu recipe next time. Looking for even more delicious Paleo crock pot and slow cooker recipes? Check out our PaleoPlan slow cooker recipe page! For hundreds of FREE Paleo recipes, visit our PaleoPlan recipe center.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Crockpot Lamb Curry Stew
Total Time: 4 hours
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4-5 hours
- 3 tablespoon(s) curry powder
- 11/2 tablespoon(s) paprika
- 2 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 2 pound(s) lamb stew meat
- 2 tablespoon(s) coconut oil or tallow or lard
- 1 cup(s) chicken broth
- 3 medium carrot(s) chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 medium celery stalk(s) chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion(s) sliced
- 4 medium garlic clove(s) minced
- 1 cup(s) coconut milk, full fat
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine curry powder, paprika, sea salt and black pepper. Add stew meat and toss to coat each piece completely.
- When the pan is hot, add oil and wait 30 seconds. Add 10 to 12 lamb pieces to the pan, turning each piece as it browns on all sides. Remove lamb from pan and place back in the spice mixture. Repeat this step with additional lamb until all pieces are browned.
- Add chicken broth to the bottom of the hot skillet. Using a wooden spoon, scrape the browned bits off the bottom of the pan and pour into the slow cooker.
- Add carrots, celery and onions to the bottom of the slow cooker. Place lamb and any extra spice mixture evenly on top. Next, sprinkle garlic on top of browned lamb pieces. Finally, pour remaining broth and coconut milk on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5 hours. Skim extra fat off the top before serving.