This post first appeared at PaleoHacks. You can see the original post here.
Finding delicious protein bars with clean and healthy ingredients is a challenge. Trying to find a Paleo-friendly bar on top of that list of must-haves is an even greater challenge. Larabars are always a favorite for their clean ingredients, and they’re Paleo-friendly, too! But buying store-bought bars is expensive, and you can make your own wholesome, nutritious bars at home in 10 minutes for a fraction of the cost!
This Larabar copycat recipe takes four whole food ingredients and turns them into a batch of healthy snack bars with just a few spins of a food processor or blender. Each bar is naturally sweetened, and has plenty of protein and fiber to fuel you through the day so you can feel good about every bite.
Tip: You can play with the Larabar flavors by taking the base ingredients (cashews and dates) and substituting the mix-ins (blueberries and lemon) with other ingredients (like raisins, dried strawberries, raw cacao powder, shredded coconut, maca powder, etc.) to get an entirely different flavored bar.
Cashews are perfect for their silky, creamy texture. To make your bars velvety, soak the cashews in a bowl of water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and blend them with the other ingredients to get a smooth texture. Store your Larabars in the freezer for an easy, on-the-go snack.
Copycat Larabar Lemon & Blueberry Recipe
Recipe by: Megan Olson
Total time: 1 hr, 10 mins
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1 hr
Yield: 8 bars
This homemade Copycat Larabar Recipe makes for a healthy, easy snack packed with blueberries, lemon, and raw cashews.
- Food processor
- 8×8 baking pan
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup dates, pitted
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked 30 min and drained
- ½ cup dried blueberries
- 1 t lemon extract (or vanilla extract)
- Place dates, cashews, blueberries and lemon extract in a food processor or high-speed blender.
- Blend on high 2-3 minutes, scrape down the sides, and then blend another 2-3 minutes until the mixture becomes a ball. If the mixture seems too loose, add 1 tablespoon of water and blend until combined.
- Line a square 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper layered crisscrossed. Transfer the batter to the pan. Spread into an even layer into the corners of the pan.
- Place in the freezer 1 hour minimum to harden. Remove from the freezer, slice into 8 bars, and enjoy.