Food for the Paleo Soul
I almost didn’t go to Paleo f(x)™ this year. Thank Grok that didn’t happen!
“It’s too far away”, “I’ve got too much work to do”, “I can’t afford it’ – were all thoughts that tried to keep me from heading to Austin, Texas for the world’s largest, live Paleo gathering known to modern cavemen.
When I first started down the Paleo path, it was a lonely journey. I was one of the only people I knew eating this way, which at times made me question my commitment to the Paleo diet. Gatherings like f(x) are food for the Paleo soul – a comforting reminder that I am indeed NOT alone, and rather part of a growing movement of people who are eating to live. This year, while gathered around thousands of other like-minded Paleo pals, I was reminded of the importance of community, and of the magic that’s created when we unite our collective actions and energies together.
Pre-Made Paleo Food Saves Lives!
Every year I’m amazed at the ingenious Paleo foods being created by conscientious individuals and companies. Sometimes people like to poke fun at pre-made Paleo goods, claiming that things like cookies and crackers aren’t Paleo. But as a Paleo nutritionist who works with people every day struggling to change their diets, I can assure you that these foods can quite literally be life-savers for many people who may not otherwise make the transition.
So on that note, I wanted to give a shout-out to all of the AMAZING f(x) vendors providing delicious and Paleo-friendly products that not only make eating Paleo easier (and downright delicious!), but they also make Paleo possible for many people who otherwise couldn’t or wouldn’t.
F(x) Vendor Shout Out – Paleo Plan’s Favorites
The following list is by no means inclusive of all the incredible vendors that made this year’s Paleo f(x)™ a raging success, but the companies and products I’ve listed below really stood out to us. You could quite literally taste the passion and dedication in these cleverly crafted Paleo goods, and lucky for us all, many of them are available for sale online!
- Fatworks – Animal fats are oh so important on the Paleo diet, yet many people don’t consume enough. Fatworks has your back! Pure Tallow, Pure Lard, Duck Fat, Leaf Lard, Buffalo Tallow, Chicken Fat, Lamb Tallow…whatchu need?
- Eatology – The incredible chefs at Eatology deliver frozen (yet super fresh) Paleo and Primal foods right to your door, nationwide! No time to cook? Eatology has you covered! USE COUPON CODE: PALEOPLAN AND SAVE 10%
- Siete tortillas – Formally known as “Must B Nutty”, these tortillas are ridiculously delicious. As a person of Mexican heritage who grew up eating both corn and flour tortillas up the wazoo, I can honestly say that these tortillas are the BEST TORTILLAS I have ever tasted. Who needs grains? Available in both almond flour and cassava/coconut flour varieties.
- Pili Nuts by Hunter Gatherer – We were blown away by the deliciousness of the wild sprouted pili nuts by Hunter Gatherer Foods! With the highest levels of magnesium and healthy fats/oil and the lowest levels of carbs of any nut, pili nuts are reminiscent of a macadamia nut, but less bitter and mo’ bettah! You. Must. Try.
- Primal Kitchen – We were totally impressed with Mark Sisson’s company, Primal Kitchen’s new creations – Chipotle Mayo (made from pure avocado oil & cage-free eggs) and his Dark Chocolate Almond Bar, containing more collagen than a cup of bone broth! I’m also stoked on his 2 new salad dressings (Honey Mustard and Greek Vinaigrettes), as we all know how difficult it is to find salad dressings that don’t contain crappy seed oils!
- Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour – If you haven’t tried baking with Otto’s Cassava Flour, you’re missing out! Made from the root of the cassava (yucca) plant, it has many of the qualities of wheat flour, making it perfect for baking Paleo goodies or as a thickener in sauces and soups!
- Bulletproof – We love making ketones from our Brain Octane + Bulletproof Coffee in the morning, and were stoked to find out about the new Bulletproof Collagen Bars made from pasture-raised, upgraded collagen protein (11 grams per bar)! Sally loved the chocolate flavor, and I was diggin’ on the vanillamax.
- PaleoMD Pizza – Who says you can’t eat pizza when you’re Paleo!? With thin, crispy crusts made from tapioca and almond flour and other real food ingredients (like pastured pork!), these frozen pizzas are easy to make, and even easier to eat!
- Mother Dirt – I’ve long-loved these probiotic body products (previously known as AOBiome), and am excited to see this conscientious company evolving in new and exciting ways. Bacteria is the new black! #Blackteria :)
- Vibrant Blue Oils – I fortuitously sat next to the creator and owner of Vibrant Blue Oils on my flight home from Austin. She gifted me a sample of her parasympathetic blend, which sent me right into a zen state! After learning about her sustainably wild-crafted and organic essential oils, I’m hooked…they’re scent-sational!
- Doc Parsley’s Sleep Remedy – I hung out at the Sleep Remedy booth for about 5 minutes, and in that amount of time no less than 10 people came by the booth to gush over how they hadn’t slept or dreamed in years, until they tried Doc’s Sleep Remedy! Quit counting sheep and give this a try!
- Fatco – Previously known as Fat Face, this line of skincare is hand-crafted and made with whole food and Paleo-certified ingredients!
- Ancient Nutrition Bone Broth Protein – Dr. Josh Axe’s ingenious powdered bone broth proteins are not only really tasty, but also super convenient. Just mix in water and start sipping the benefits of bone broth – available in many flavors too!
- Fox Hill Kitchens Awesome Bunz – Hands down, the best Paleo and low-carb bread and buns around! NO detectable sugars thanks to the magic of overnight fermentation. Paleo baking wizardry!
- Muffin Else – Want a Paleo muffin in 2 minutes? Just add water, microwave, and enjoy a single and frickin’ DELICIOUS Paleo muffin – on the go!
- Paleo On The Go – Need pre-made Paleo food delivered? POTG makes Paleo and Autoimmune Paleo (AIP) meals, and delivers them (frozen) right to your doorstep!
- Taza Chocolate 95% Wicked Dark – Hold your keto horses – because Taza Chocolate company just came out with a 95% dark chocolate bar…that means 95% cacao!!! And it does NOT taste like bakers chocolate, it satisfied the palate of this 70% cacao lover. I am amazed and in LOVE!
- Desert Farms camel milk – We were surprised to see camel milk at Paleo f(x), and even more surprised to find out that it’s certified Paleo! Milk from camels contains much less lactose and casein than milk from cows. We tried it, and it’s super tasty!
- Paleo Powder – Certified Paleo all-purpose seasoning born and made in Austin, Texas! Available with or without salt, in 4 yummy and BBQ-inspired flavors.
- Vital Proteins – Still our favorite and go-to brand of pasture-raised collagen and gelatin powdered supplements, sourced from pasture-raised bovine hides.
- Safe Catch Tuna – Lowest mercury of any brand of canned tuna! Sustainably caught, Certified Paleo, in a BPA-free can.
- DRINKMaple – Maple water is a mildly sweet and refreshing beverage that comes from the sap of Vermont maple trees. With half the sugar of coconut water (only 8 g of carbs per serving), it contains only one ingredient, but over 46 different nutrients!
- Clovis Nutrition’s Perfect Paleo Powder – This Certified Paleo-Friendly (and egg free!) protein powder not only tastes great, but also contains 27 grams of protein per serving, with zero aftertaste or grittiness. Save 15% with coupon code PALEOPLAN !
- The Paleo Foundation certifies companies as “Certified Paleo”, “Paleo Approved”, “Paleo Friendly”, and “PaleoVegan” to help customers identify and purchase the highest quality Paleo products available. This company is doing amazing work in the Paleosphere, and we’re grateful for the enthusiasm and relentless efforts of the organization’s founder, Karen Pendergrass.
Paleo f(x) 2017 – #PFX17
If you missed this year’s Paleo f(x)™, fret not! You can now watch many of the brilliant speakers from this year’s event and other experts in the ancestral health field on Paleo f(x) TV! Tickets will be on sale soon for next year’s event, which will take place Friday May 19 – Sunday, May 21, 2017 at the Palmer Event Center in Austin, TX. Mark your calendars….and without a doubt, I’ll be seeing you there! :)