Ground lamb adds a unique flavor to our Paleo take on this traditional dish. Served over zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice, this meaty tomato based sauce is filling, healthy, and mouthwateringly delicious. Our Lamb Ragu recipe makes a nice substitute for heavy pasta dishes, but is just as satisfying. For more delicious Paleo lamb recipes (and hundreds of other FREE Paleo recipes), please visit our Paleo Plan recipe center!
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Total Time: 120 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
saturated fat 6.6g
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 medium onion(s) diced
- 2 medium garlic clove(s) minced
- 2 teaspoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 11/2 pound(s) lamb, ground
- 1 can(s) tomatoes, (28 oz)
- 2 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup(s) basil, fresh
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) sea salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet or Dutch oven. Add the onion and cook until soft. Season with salt and pepper and add the garlic and Italian seasoning. Stir, cook for 1 minute, and add the lamb. Cook until the lamb is no longer pink and add the tomatoes. Mash the tomatoes and simmer over medium low heat until tomatoes are broken down, 30-45 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, and continue simmering for 30-60 more minutes, until thickened.
- Stir in the vinegar and basil and serve with cooked zucchini noodles or sautéed cauliflower rice for a complete meal.