ans and cereals are healthy, right? Well, not if you are following the Paleo diet. This dietary regimen is based on the diet of ancient, nomadic men of the Paleolithic Era. The diet of the Paleolithic people, also called Stone Age men or cavemen, consists mainly of food hunted and gathered in the wild. This makes the diet very selective indeed, and it can be tricky to stick to it. To make your caveman diet journey simpler, here is a list of Paleo foods to avoid.
According to the caveman diet, foods prepared and produced outside the Paleolithic Era are not well-adapted to the human body, causing diseases of civilization or lifestyle diseases. This means that farm produce are not allowed in the caveman diet. More specifically, the foods to avoid in a caveman diet plan are:
1. Legumes – All kinds of beans such as black beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, mung beans, string beans and lima beans have to be eliminated. Black-eyed peas, chickpeas, lentils, snow peas, sugar snap peas, peanuts, soybeans and soybean products are also excluded.
2. Dairy products – All kinds of dairy foods like butter, cheese, cream, yogurt, ice cream, low-fat milk, skim milk, whole milk, dairy creamer, and all processed foods that contain dairy must be avoided.
3. Cereals or grains – All forms of cereal grains such as barley, corn, millet, oats, rice, rye, sorghum, wheat, wild rice, and all foods made of cereal products are to be avoided.
4. Grain-like seeds – Amaranth, buckwheat and quinoa are excluded in Paleolithic diet recipes.
7. Factory farmed meats – Certain parts of conventionally raised chicken and turkey (skin, legs, wings and thighs), fatty beef roasts and ribs, fatty pork chops, ribs and roasts, lamb chops, leg and roasts, pork sausage, and T-bone steak are to be avoided in the Paleo diet plan. The fats on animals who were fed pesticide-laden grains aren’t favorable. Opt for grass-fed, pasture-raised animal products.
8. Soft drinks and fruit juices – All types of sugary soft drinks and all types of fruit juices canned, bottled and even freshly squeezed fruit juices (lack the fiber) are not allowed.
9. Sweets – Sugar is excluded. Raw honey and coconut sap are acceptable sometimes.
The Paleolithic diet is based on food choices of more than 2 million years ago, when man became highly evolved species. The Paleolithic people are believed to have lived very long lives. They were lean and active, and didn’t suffer from lifestyle diseases. Man’s evolution was a result of natural process of selection, and man’s food choices substantially contributed to that phenomenon. Thus, even during the time of computers and the Internet, many are practicing a Paleo diet for a longer, healthier life.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Keep up to date with Paleo Plan news, recipes, and blog posts.