Traditional carrot cake recipes are loaded with refined sugar and flour, and usually topped with a dairy-laden frosting that is definitely not Paleo friendly. If you still want to enjoy this moist and tender spice cake while sticking to your Paleo principles, this Paleo Carrot Cake with Creamy Dairy Free Frosting recipe will fit the bill. Sweetened with a bit of maple syrup or honey, it’s full of good-for-you ingredients that won’t weigh you down.
The frosting is creamy and delicious, yet completely free of dairy. It pairs beautifully with the cake, and makes eating dessert something that you don’t have to feel (too) guilty about! So just a little word of caution – this cake is very calorie dense, as you’ll see in the nutrition info, so eat at your own discretion! It’s worth it, though – I promise.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Paleo Carrot Cake with Creamy Dairy Free Frosting
Total Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
saturated fat 41.6g
- 1 cup(s) almond flour
- 1/3 cup(s) coconut flour
- 1 cup(s) arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon(s) cinnamon
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ginger, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) nutmeg, ground
- 9 large egg(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) honey, raw or maple syrup
- 3/4 cup(s) coconut oil melted
- 1 tablespoon(s) vanilla
- 1 medium orange(s) zested
- 3 large carrot(s) grated (3 cups for 12 servings)
- 1 cup(s) cashews, raw soaked for at least 4 hours
- 13/4 cup(s) coconut oil
- 1/2 cup(s) coconut butter
- 1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup(s) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 2 tablespoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- Make The Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a 9x13 baking pan with coconut oil or leaf lard. (You can also use 2 9-inch cake pans and make a layer cake if you'd like.)
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients except for the carrots. Whisk until well combined.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet and stir. Fold in the carrots. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Make The Frosting
- Drain the cashews and blend in a food processor or high powered blender until creamy. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until well combined and creamy.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting and serving.