The benefits of eating Paleo are numerous! But did you know that Paleo is also one of the best ways to help the environment this Earth Day (and every day)?
In an ideal Paleo world, we consume foods that are organic, grass-fed, and as close to their original form as possible, while supporting companies producing quality products free from chemicals, preservatives, artificial hormones, GMOs, and other toxic compounds.
Truth be told, a Paleo diet consisting of conventional produce and grain-fed meat still trumps the Standard American Diet (SAD), and you can definitely reap the benefits of Paleo even if you can’t afford organic produce and grass-fed meat!
Having said that, here’s some things to consider while you’re out hunting and gathering:
- The BEST PRODUCE is organic (GMO-free), local, and in-season. The WORST PRODUCE is called “conventional” and may contain GMOs, pesticides, fertilizers, chemicals, etc.
- The BEST MEATS are grass-fed/pasture-raised, free-range, organic, hormone-free, and local. The WORST MEATS come from animals that are conventionally-raised, kept in confined cages or pens, and are typically fed grains, given hormones, and treated very poorly.
- The BEST EGGS are cage-free/free-range/pastured (but not necessarily organic). The WORST EGGS come from caged hens that were raised in very confined spaces (i.e. battery cages).
- The BEST SEAFOOD is wild seafood, that never spent any portion of its life in a fish farm. The WORST SEAFOOD is farmed seafood (in most cases).
- The BEST FATS come from: pastured/grass-fed animals, coconut, olive, avocado, nuts & seeds (and their oils & butters), pastured eggs, and wild seafood. Choose organic, extra-virgin, and cold-pressed varieties of oils whenever possible. The WORST FATS are non-organic, hydrogenated, and/or refined. Avoid oils from “vegetable”, canola, corn, cottonseed, soybean, sunflower, safflower, margarine, etc.
We recognize it isn’t always possible to get the highest quality foods, and it’s certainly not a Paleo deal-breaker if you can’t swing buying the ‘best’. This week Aimee shares a helpful list of produce you should buy organic (and the best options for purchasing conventional).
The Paleo Plan Nutritionists recently put together a list of our favorite Paleo products with our go-to online sources for discount grass-fed meats, wild seafood, and organic food. While we’re all about supporting our local food co-operatives, farmers and ranchers, we also need to minimize stress in our lives, and quite frankly, having my groceries delivered (for cheaper than it would cost to go out and buy them) wins major points in my book!
Happy Earth Day (this Friday)!
“You carry Mother Earth within you. She is not outside of you. Mother Earth is not just your environment.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh
Eat Eco with these Earth-Friendly Products
Ditch the plastic!
This BPA-free pyrex
glass tupperware is
made in the USA
Bambeco’s eco-friendly kitchenware –
Sustainable & stylish
Kleen Kanteen Stainless Steel
Boost water intake
Eat eco on-the-go!
Sustainable Products We Adore
Your One Stop Shop for Green Shopping!
Healthy Fats & Oils
Safe Catch Tuna
Lowest mercury, free from BPA- and additives