What is a Thanksgiving meal without stuffing?! Have no fear, beloved grain free eaters. You can still enjoy delicious bread stuffing on the holidays (or anytime of year that you want!) by using our easy Paleo Coconut Bread Stuffing recipe. And don’t be turned off by the extra giblets that this recipe calls for — it’s an excellent way to start incorporating some organ meats into your cooking routine.
Wondering how to cook a Free-Range Pastured Whole Turkey? Need a great Paleo gravy recipe? Visit our Paleo Thanksgiving Survival Guides and Tips page for even more Paleo Thanksgiving ideas and inspirations!
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Coconut Bread Stuffing
Total Time: 2 hours
Prep Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 2.5 hours
- 6 large egg(s)
- 1/2 cup(s) coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) honey, raw
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 3/4 cup(s) coconut flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 3 slice(s) bacon diced
- 1/2 pound(s) turkey gizzards and hearts (or chicken), cleaned and chopped
- 1 pound(s) Italian pork sausage, ground mild (or chicken)
- 2 medium celery stalk(s) diced
- 1 medium onion(s), yellow diced
- 4 medium garlic clove(s) sliced
- 6 medium mushroom(s), white button or cremini sliced
- 1 teaspoon(s) sea salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoon(s) parsley, fresh chopped
- 1 tablespoon(s) sage, fresh chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) rosemary, fresh chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) thyme, dried
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper freshly ground
- 1 cup(s) chicken broth or broth
- Cook Coconut Bread first, let cool and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- To cook Coconut Bread: Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C). Blend eggs, oil, honey, and salt together. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine coconut flour with baking powder. Whisk this into the egg batter thoroughly, until there are no lumps. Pour into greased 9x5x3 inch or smaller loaf pan and bake at 175 C (350 F) for 40 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.
- To cook Stuffing: Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat a Dutch oven or large oven-proof and stovetop safe pan over medium-high heat. Add bacon slices and cook until crisped. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to absorb excess fat.
- Add gizzards and hearts, sausage, celery, onion, garlic and mushrooms to the residual hot bacon fat. Saute, stirring frequently, until vegetables have softened (about 8-10 minutes). Season with sea salt if desired, and remove from heat.
- Gently stir in parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, black pepper, sea salt, cooked bacon, and coconut bread. Pour stock over top.
- Bake uncovered for 40-60 minutes, or until the top begins to brown. Serve warm or room temperature. If you are following the Thanksgiving prep list, let the stuffing cool completely before covering and placing in the refrigerator.