Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Paleo Shepherd’s Pie
Total Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
- 3 medium parsnip(s) peeled and grated, about 3/4 lb for 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) onion salt
- 1 slice(s) bacon
- 11/2 medium zucchini sliced, about 1/2 lb for 4 servings
- 1/4 pound(s) mushrooms, white button, cremini or shitaake sliced
- 1 medium celery stalk(s) diced
- 1 tablespoon(s) coconut oil or ghee
- 1/2 medium onion(s), red finely diced
- 11/4 pound(s) turkey, ground
- 2 medium onion(s), green sliced
- 1 tablespoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon(s) celery salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper freshly ground
- 8 large egg white(s) divided
- 1/2 cup(s) parsley, fresh chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Peel parsnips and grate with a cheese grater. Mix with onion salt and olive oil, and set aside.
- Cook bacon slice in a large saute pan over medium heat. Save bacon fat and leave it in the pan. Cool bacon slice, crumble, and set aside.
- Add zucchini, mushrooms, and celery to the pan with the bacon fat and saute until slightly softened.
- Heat a separate pan over medium-high heat, and add coconut oil when hot. Add onions, ground turkey, Italian seasoning, celery salt and black pepper to taste. Saute until turkey is fully cooked.
- Combine meat and vegetables in one pan and mix thoroughly. Let cool 5 minutes.
- Combine 4 egg whites with parsley and stir into the meat and vegetable mixture.
- Combine the other 4 egg whites with parsnips.
- Coat an 8x8 baking dish with olive oil.
- Add meat and vegetable mixture, cover with parsnip mixture and top with crumbled bacon.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until the top begins to brown.
This recipe inspired in part or in whole from here