Add a hearty helping of kale to the table with this kale salad recipe! These verdant leaves will help you do just that, dressed up with a zippy combination of cider vinegar, lemon juice, bacon fat and Dijon. It’s also easy to make this salad up to 12 hours ahead of time, to allow for the kale to soften and flavors to meld. Just be sure to add the crisp bacon and crunchy hazelnuts right before serving.
If you enjoyed our Kale Salad with Currants, Apples and Hazelnuts recipe, try our Warm Roasted Sweet Potato and Kale Salad next time! For even more delicious and FREE Paleo recipes, visit our PaleoPlan Recipe Center.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Kale Salad with Currants, Apples and Hazelnuts
Total Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 11/2 bunch(es) kale chopped with stems removed, about 1.5 lbs for 8 servings
- 6 slice(s) bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) bacon drippings
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 teaspoon(s) apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon(s) mustard, dijon
- 1/4 small onion(s), red grated
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon zest
- 1 small apple(s) cored and diced
- 1/2 cup(s) currants, dried
- 1/2 cup(s) hazelnuts (or pecans) chopped
- Place kale in a large strainer in the sink (or over a large bowl to catch the drips). Sprinkle with sea salt and gently massage the salt into the leaves for about 2 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes and drain off any extra liquid. Place drained kale into a large salad bowl.
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon until crisp on medium heat, turning frequently. Remove bacon from pan and place on paper towels to remove excess fat. Reserve 1 Tbsp bacon fat (drippings). When cooled, crumble bacon pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine bacon drippings, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon, red onion, and lemon zest. Whisk or shake together to combine.
- Add the apple and currants to the bowl with the kale. Pour dressing over top and toss to combine. (If you???re prepping ahead of time, now is where you cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.)
- Top the salad with bacon crumbles and hazelnuts. Serve immediately.