Turkey brine adds flavor and moisture to your Thanksgiving turkey, making it less likely to end up with dry turkey meat. This Paleo Turkey Brine recipe makes enough to brine up to an 18 pound turkey. If you have a very large turkey, add ½ cup sea salt for every additional gallon of water needed to fully submerge your bird. To save room in your refrigerator, you can brine your turkey in doubled up turkey size oven bags or brining bags. You’ll probably require less brine for this as tying the bags tightly around the turkey brings less brine in contact with more bird.
If you have purchased a frozen turkey, you will need to thaw it 3-4 days before you intend to brine roast it. Thaw by placing on a tray in the refrigerator in the original packaging (do not thaw at room temperature).
Wondering how to cook a Free-Range Pastured Whole Turkey? Need a great Paleo gravy recipe? Visit our Paleo Thanksgiving Survival Guides and Tips page for even more Paleo Thanksgiving ideas and inspirations!
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Total Time: 12 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Passive Time: 12-24 hours
- 16 cup(s) water
- 16 cup(s) water cold
- 1 cup(s) sea salt, coarse
- 4 tablespoon(s) rosemary, fresh
- 5 tablespoon(s) thyme, fresh
- 1 cup(s) sage, fresh
- 1 cup(s) parsley, fresh
- 3 whole bay leaf(s)
- 1 tablespoon(s) peppercorns, whole
- 3 medium garlic clove(s)
- In a large stockpot on the stove, combine water, sea salt, herbs, spices and garlic. Turn on the heat to medium high and stir until salt is dissolves.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pour the mixture into a pot or a bucket large enough to hold your turkey and brine and stir in the ice water.
- After removing the neck and giblets, wash the turkey and submerge fully in the brine, breast side down. Make sure the cavity is filled so the turkey doesn???t float.
- Place in the refrigerator for 12 to 24 hours.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and pat dry before roasting for better browning.
- Discard leftover brine.