Cilantro, jalapeno peppers, garlic and cumin combine to make a delicious marinade for grilled shrimp in this recipe. Feel free to sauté the shrimp instead of grilling if you prefer. These are very tasty served with a simple garlic-cilantro sauce. Recipe submitted by Justin.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Green Lightning Shrimp
Total Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Passive Time: 30 minutes
Marinade for Shrimp Kebabs
- 1 pound(s) shrimp, jumbo peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup(s) cilantro, fresh rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 4 medium jalapeno pepper(s) seeded and coarsely chopped (for hotter shrimp, leave the seeds in)
- 6 medium onion(s), green chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- 4 medium lime(s)
- 2 medium garlic clove(s) chopped
- 1 package(s) metal or bamboo skewers (2 for each shrimp)
Garlic Cilantro Sauce
- 3 tablespoon(s) cilantro, fresh rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) olive oil
- 1 medium garlic clove(s) chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) sea salt to taste
- Thread the shrimp onto 2 parallel skewers, using 2 skewers for each kebab. Arrange the kebabs in a shallow glass or ceramic dish.
- Place cilantro, jalapenos, green onions, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cumin in a food processor and finely chop. With the machine running, add 1/4 cup olive oil and lime juice through the feed tube and puree. Pour over shrimp and let marinate in the refrigerator, covered for 30 minutes.
- Shortly before meal time, make Garlic Cilantro Sauce.
- To Make Garlic Cilantro Sauce:
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add garlic, salt and cilantro and cook until the garlic is golden and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Keep the cilantro sauce warm until ready to use.
- Prepare grill.
- When ready to cook, drain and discard marinade from kebabs. Place shrimp kebabs on the hot grate and baste with garlic and cilantro sauce. Continue to baste and grill until just cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes per side until shrimp are pinkish white and firm.
- Pour any remaining garlic cilantro sauce over top and serve with fresh lime wedges.