Kanten, also called agar-agar, is a vegetable gelatin compliments of Martha Stewart’s whole living
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Watermelon and Cantaloupe Kanten
Total Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium cantaloupe(s) halved and seeded (about 3 lbs for 6 servings)
- 8 cup(s) watermelon
- 3 cup(s) apple cider or apple juice
- 1 cup(s) water
- 1/3 cup(s) kanten flakes
- 1/4 cup(s) honey, raw
- Scoop out cantaloupe and watermelon with a melon baller (or cut into 1 inch cubes) and put in a 9x5" (8 cup) loaf pan; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring cider, water and kanten to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the kanten is dissolved, about 5 min.
- Turn off heat and stir in honey until dissolved; cool to room temperature.
- Pour cooled liquid over the melon and set aside at room temperature until set, about 3 hours.
- Invert the kanten onto a platter.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.