Parsnips are the star of the show in this creamy Paleo parsnip soup recipe, making good use of this winter root vegetable. Salty bacon helps to balance out the sweetness of the parsnips, while full fat coconut milk adds a richness at the end. Other parsnip recipes will have a hard time competing with this Creamy Bacon and Parsnip Soup. Served as a light dinner or a healthy side dish, it’s easy enough to prepare as a healthy weeknight meal. For more Paleo soup recipes and other scrumptious FREE Paleo recipes, visit the PaleoPlan recipe home page.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Creamy Bacon and Parsnip Soup
Total Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
saturated fat 10.8g
- 4 slice(s) bacon (thick)
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 large leek(s) sliced
- 1 medium celery stalk(s) diced
- 2 medium garlic clove(s)
- 4 large parsnip(s) peeled and sliced
- 3 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup(s) coconut milk, full fat
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) nutmeg, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) sea salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Remove from pan and add the olive oil.
- Add the leeks and celery and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook for about a minute. Stir in the parsnips and add the broth. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Simmer until parsnips are softened, about 10-15 minutes. Transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer back to pan and stir in the coconut milk, nutmeg and reserved bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper and simmer over low heat until heated through.