This mouth-watering Italian Sausage Stew recipe was shared by one of our awesome Paleo Plan meal plan members, and we think it’s a winner! The flavor is outstanding on its own, or you can try serving it atop a plop of our creamy cauliflower mashers. I’ve made this recipe countless times for guests, family, and the pickiest of non-Paleo eaters…and every single time it’s been a smashing success! I’ll often make a double batch, and then freeze half of it for later since it tastes just as good when re-heated. Thanks to Ashley for this delicious Paleo stew recipe inspiration!
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Italian Sausage Stew
Total Time: 50 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
saturated fat 12g
- 11/2 pound(s) Italian sausage mild
- 4 cup(s) chicken broth or beef broth
- 1/2 cup(s) water
- 1 small butternut squash cut into 1-inch cubes (1 sm squash=2 cups cubed)
- 3 small garlic clove(s) diced
- 1 tablespoon(s) thyme, fresh
- 2 whole bay leaf(s)
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 1 medium onion(s) chopped
- 2 medium carrot(s) peeled and chopped
- 3 medium celery stalk(s) chopped
- 2 cup(s) spinach chopped
- 1 can(s) tomatoes, fire roasted diced (15 oz)
- 2 tablespoon(s) coconut oil
- Prep ingredients and remove sausage casings (if present).
- In a dutch oven (or using a large skillet on your stovetop) - warm the coconut oil over medium heat. When hot (not smoking) add the Italian sausage and cook until browned, about 6-8 minutes. You can leave the sausage kind of chunky if you want bigger pieces of meat in your stew, or break it down into smaller pieces.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, squash, celery, and thyme. Continue to sauté for another 8 minutes over medium heat.
- Transfer to a large soup pot. Add the broth, water, canned tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, pepper, cumin, and cayenne. Increase heat and bring to a light boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and continue cooking for 20-30 minutes (until squash and carrots are soft).
- Stir in spinach at the end, and serve immediately. Tastes wonderful on its own, or atop a plop of our creamy cauliflower mashers.