Burn more fat and build strength with these low impact HIIT exercises you can do anywhere.
High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) couples short bursts of high-intensity exercise with rest periods. This type of training allows you to work harder than you would if you were performing an exercise for a longer period of time, making your workouts more time-efficient and helping you to burn fat, increase muscle, and improve your cardiovascular health in a shorter period of time.
This HIIT workout is low-impact and perfect for beginners. The HIIT intervals for this workout will be 20:40 (20 seconds of high-intensity exercise followed by 40 seconds of rest, walking in place). The workout will take just 10 minutes.
Once you’ve done this workout a few times, you can make it more challenging by:
- Repeating it for 2-3 sets.
- Increasing your high-intensity time. Do 30 seconds of high-intensity exercise followed by 30 seconds of rest. Eventually, you can work up to 45 seconds or 1 minute of high-intensity exercise time.
High Knees | 20 sec
This exercise will start to get your heart rate up and warm up the core, arms, and legs.
- Begin by standing with your feet hip-width distance apart. Engage your abs and stand up tall. Bend your elbows to 90-degree angles.
- Lift your right leg up high, bending the knee towards a 90-degree angle. At the same time, swing your left arm forward and your right arm back.
- Continue marching in place, alternating sides.
Squat | 20 sec
This exercise will give you a burst of cardio exercise while strengthening the thighs, glutes, and core.
- Start by standing with your feet hip-width distance apart. Turn your toes out slightly.
- Inhale as you bend your knees and sit your hips back to come into a squat. Lift your arms in front of your chest and make sure to keep your knees in line with your toes.
- Exhale to press through your heels, stand back up, and squeeze your glutes. Continue for the full 20 seconds at a moderate, controlled speed.
Plank Shoulder Taps | 20 sec
This core exercise will get your blood pumping and strengthen the shoulders.
- Begin in a pushup position. Line up your wrists under your shoulders and spread your fingers wide. Separate your feet a little wider than hip-width distance. Engage your abs and quads.
- Shift your weight to your left hand. Keep your hips square to the ground as you tap your left shoulder with your right hand. Repeat on the other side.
- Continue alternating side to side. You should feel your abs and shoulders working.
Note: To modify, place your hands on a chair or on a wall.
Lunge Taps | 20 sec
This dynamic exercise strengthens the glutes, thighs, and core.
- Start by standing with your abs engaged.
- Step your left foot back and bent into your right knee to come into a lunge. Bring your hands to the ground to frame your foot. Keep your right knee stacked over your ankle.
- Stand up and step your left foot back up, in line with your right. Switch sides, stepping your right foot back.
Note: To modify, place your hands on your hips and step back into the lunge without bringing your hands all the way to the ground.
Bicycles | 20 sec
This exercise will get your heart rate up and give you a sculpted, toned core!
- Start by lying down on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor. Bend your elbows and place your hands behind your head.
- Pick your feet up and parallel your thighs to the floor. Engage your abs to press your lower back into the mat. Keep your elbows wide and lift your shoulders off the ground.
- Inhale, then exhale to twist right. Hug your right knee in towards your chest as you straighten your left leg out and up. Tap your left elbow to your right thigh. Inhale to come back to center, then exhale to switch sides. Continue alternating side-to-side.
Your Next Workout: 9 Amazing Stretches To Release Shoulder Pain