Makes 4 servings. Add a lean protein such as sliced chicken breast for a complete meal.
Approximate cooking time: 45 minutes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced (optional)
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 8 cups of chicken broth (or well-salted water)
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 1/4 tsp sesame oil
- sea salt to taste (optional)
- 3 Tbs arrowroot powder + 3 Tbs water
- 6 eggs
- Melt coconut oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions and celery, and saute (stirring occasionally) until translucent (about 15 minutes). Stir in broth.
- Add ginger, coconut aminos, and sesame oil. Bring to a boil. Add sea salt to taste if desired.
- Mix arrowroot powder with water until smooth. Pour into soup and continue to cook until thickened (about 10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs together. After soup has thickened, pour eggs intermittently into soup. For beautiful, ribbony eggs be sure to do this step after soup is already thickened. Serve hot.