This Smashed Root Vegetables recipe makes a good alternative to traditional mashed potatoes if you’re avoiding eating potatoes, or if you’d just like some root vegetable variation in your life! Roasted celeriac root, parsnips, rutabaga, and sweet potatoes are mashed together with warming onions and spices in this delicious Paleo smashed root vegetables recipe.
If you enjoyed this Smashed Root Vegetables recipe, try our Roasted Root Vegetable Ratatouille recipe next time. If you’re looking for even more delicious Paleo side dish recipes, then look no further and visit our PaleoPlan Recipe Center for hundreds of FREE Paleo recipes!
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Smashed Root Vegetables
Total Time: 90 minutes
Cook Time: 90 minutes
- 5 pound(s) root vegetables, assorted (celeriac, parsnips, rutabaga, sweet potatoes)
- 1/2 medium onion(s) diced
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) thyme, dried
- 4 medium garlic clove(s) crushed
- 1/2 cup(s) chicken broth warmed
- 1 tablespoon(s) chives, fresh for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment.
- Peel and dice all root vegetables. Spread vegetables and onions evenly on the parchment linings. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and thyme and stir together until fully coated.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes.
- Add garlic to the baking sheets. Continue to roast for an additional 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.
- If you are serving immediately, remove from the parchment and place in a large mixing bowl or upright mixer. Add chicken stock and beat until mashed. Add more chicken stock if you'd like a smoother mash. Season mashed root vegetables with additional sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, if desired. Garnish with chopped chives.
- If you are making these ahead of time, place the cooked root vegetables into a covered, oven-proof baking dish and refrigerate overnight.