If you’re a fan of the fried calamari you get off the appetizer menu of your favorite restaurant, you’ll love this mango and calamari ceviche as a fresh twist that is totally Paleo friendly. Calamari is the name given to squid when it’s served as food. Calamari is quite neutral in flavor, but has a wonderful firm texture that is quite reminiscent of pasta. Squid is also a great source of protein, phosphorus, vitamin B-12, riboflavin, zinc, niacin, and other important vitamins and minerals. This Mango and Calamari Ceviche recipe uses the acidity of lime juice to cook the calamari after its been boiled for a minute. The zesty flavors of curry, garlic, peppers, and mango result in a flavor combination that is out of this world!
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Mango and Calamari Ceviche
Total Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Passive Time: 2 hours
- 12 ounce(s) calamari cleaned, (substitute with scallops or shrimp if you don't like squid)
- 1/2 cup(s) lime juice
- 1/2 cup(s) orange juice
- 1 teaspoon(s) lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) curry powder
- 1 medium mango(s) peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 small onion(s), red finely chopped
- 1 medium garlic clove(s) minced
- 1 medium jalapeno pepper(s) seeded and minced
- 1/2 medium bell pepper(s) finely chopped
- 1/4 cup(s) cilantro, fresh chopped
- 1 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper freshly ground
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (do not add salt). While waiting for the water to boil, fill a large bowl with ice and fill halfway with water.
- When the water is boiling, add the calamari and stir. Cook for 1 minute, remove with a slotted spoon and immediately transfer to the ice water.
- Let it sit in the ice bath for about 5 minutes and then lay the pieces on a layer of paper towels.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, add the calamari, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or more before serving.
- Serve with additional cilantro and lime wedges.