There is a lot of information out there on how to make jerky.
It’s easiest to make jerky with a dehydrator, but if you don’t have one you can use your oven.
1. Just follow the recipe as far as the marinating part goes.
2. Place the meat, sliced as directed in the recipes, in your oven on the lowest temperature (usually about 170) directly on the oven trays (use aluminum foil or pans to cover the bottom of the oven to catch drippings).
3. Wait until it’s dry to the touch, turns brown and shows white fibers when bent. Anywhere from about 4 to 7 hours.
Jerky keeps indefinitely, but it’s best kept in a cool place or frozen.
Store Bought Jerky
Some store bought jerky is great! Just look out for nitrites and other preservatives, whose names you don’t recognize or can’t pronounce. Pasture raised animals are always best, and this applies to your store bought jerky, too.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources