Lacinato kale is a variety of kale also known as dinosaur kale or black kale because of it’s dark color and bumpy leaves (which are thought to resemble the skin of a dinosaur). It’s my favorite type of kale, owing to its mildly earthy flavor and impressive nutritional profile. However, any type of kale can be used in this delicious Paleo salad recipe. This Kale Salad with Chicken recipe comes together quickly with a light lemon dressing and a hearty crunch from sunflower seeds. This Paleo salad makes a nice light lunch, snack, a hearty side dish, or a healthy main course. If you enjoyed our Kale Salad with Chicken recipe, try our Turkey and Kale Salad with Maple Bacon Dressing recipe next time.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Kale Salad with Chicken
Total Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 bunch(es) kale, lacinato
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 small lemon(s) juiced
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) sea salt (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 2 piece(s) chicken breast(s), boneless skinless (4-6 oz)
- 1/4 cup(s) sunflower seeds, toasted
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch slices.Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat and add coconut oil when hot. Sauté chicken breasts for 10-15 minutes, stirring often, until fully cooked; season with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper if desired. Shred if desired.
- Wash kale and remove leaves from woody stems. Slice leaves thinly.
- In a large bowl, combine kale, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt (if desired) and freshly ground black pepper. Toss to coat leaves completely.
- Divide kale into two bowls. Top each salad with chicken and sunflower seeds to serve.