Organ meats, or offal, are an excellent source of nutrients, but they have a strong flavor that takes some getting used to. The easiest way to make them a regular part of your diet is to mix them with ingredients that you love, such as these Paleo offal meatballs. This meatball recipe is made with a combination of ground beef and beef liver, and then crusted in dried herbs before being baked under high heat. They’re then served with hearty, bacon-braised greens that make for a comforting, healthy, and filling meal. Feel free to use any type of organ meat you like; just ask your butcher to grind it for you.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Herb Crusted Beef and Offal Meatballs with Braised Greens
Total Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
saturated fat 7.6g
- 1 pound(s) beef, ground
- 1/2 pound(s) liver, ground or you can process in a food processor
- 1 medium onion(s) finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic clove(s) minced
- 1/4 cup(s) almond flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 4 slice(s) bacon diced
- 1 medium apple(s) peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 bunch(es) collard greens stems removed and chopped
- 1 bunch(es) chard stems removed and chopped
- 1 cup(s) chicken broth or water
- 1 medium grapefruit(s) juiced
- 1/8 teaspon(s) sea salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Combine the beef, liver, onion, garlic, almond flour, paprika, and salt in a large bowl. Using your hands, mix until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Form into 2-inch meatballs and lay on a baking sheet. Brush with the olive oil and coat with the Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until cooked through.
- To make the greens, cook the bacon in a large, deep skillet until it starts to brown. Add the apple and greens and stir to coat in the fat.
- Add the broth or water along with the grapefruit juice and to cover the greens and turn down to low. Let the greens simmer for about 10 minutes over low heat until greens are tender
- Serve the meatballs over the greens.