As the weather cools down, comfort food like casseroles are what we crave. Most casseroles, unfortunately, aren’t exactly Paleo-friendly with starchy ingredients and cheese. Our Beef and Sweet Potato Casserole is chock full of seasonal veggies and hearty ground beef making it a healthy, filling, and delicious Paleo meal. A sprinkling of almonds adds that crunch factor you usually get from breadcrumbs or broiled cheese. For more Paleo casserole recipes and other scrumptious FREE Paleo recipes, visit the PaleoPlan recipe home page.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Beef and Sweet Potato Casserole
Total Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
saturated fat 4.8g
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1 medium onion(s) thinly sliced
- 2 medium garlic clove(s) minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) Italian seasoning
- 1 pound(s) beef, ground
- 2 medium sweet potato(es) thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 4 cup(s) spinach, baby
- 1/2 cup(s) broth chicken, beef or vegetable
- 1 cup(s) almonds sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) sea salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions. Cook until soft, add the garlic, and stir. Cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper and remove from pan.
- Add the beef to the pan and cook until no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper and Italian seasoning. Turn off heat.
- To make the casserole, spread a layer of sweet potatoes on the bottom of a square casserole dish. Top with onions, spinach and beef. Continue layering until ingredients are gone. Drizzle with the broth and cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with almonds. Bake for 10 more minutes until almonds are lightly toasted and top is slightly browned.