Harness the naturally sweet flavors of sweet potatoes in this easy, chocolatey muffin recipe!
For these muffins, you can use canned or fresh sweet potatoes. If you opt for fresh, roast them, then purée until very smooth.
Next, mix the creamy purée with eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract. Add a combination of almond flour, tapioca flour, cardamom, baking soda, and a pinch of salt to make a dense batter. Don’t let the thickness fool you – it will transform into a fluffy muffin while holding the chocolate chips in place so they don’t sink to the bottom.
The muffins will be soft when they come out of the oven, but give them the proper time to cool and they’ll shape right up.
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Chocolate Chip Sweet Potato Muffins
Total Time: 27 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 17 minutes
- 1 medium sweet potato(es) puréed (1/2 cup for 6 servings)
- 3 large egg(s) room temperature
- 1/4 cup(s) coconut oil melted
- 3 tablespoon(s) maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
- 1 tablespoon(s) baking soda
- 2 cup(s) almond flour
- 3/4 cup(s) tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoon(s) cardamom, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) sea salt
- 1/2 cup(s) chocolate chips, dark
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease or line a 12-cup muffin tin and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sweet potato purée, eggs, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, whisk together baking soda, almond flour, tapioca flour, cardamom, and salt until incorporated.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, then add wet ingredients. Mix with a rubber spatula to form a thick batter.
- Add chocolate chips and gently fold them into the batter.
- Divide batter evenly between cups of prepared muffin tin.
- Bake on the center rack for 15-17 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool 10 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.