Satisfy your comfort food cravings with this easy zucchini noodles carbonara, loaded with crispy bacon and a creamy sauce.
Craving creamy pasta carbonara? In this Paleo-friendly version, zucchini noodles prove the perfect fit for a creamy carbonara sauce and ample smoky bacon.
Instead of pre-cooking the noodles, we allow them to warm up in the velvety smooth sauce so they keep their al dente bite. This dreamy sauce builds its rich texture and flavor from creamy egg yolks and a seasoned cashew cheese.
The warm cashew cheese mixture acts to lightly cook the egg yolks as you whisk. Whisking constantly at this step allows the eggs to become a part of the sauce, rather than cook separately, so be sure to keep your whisk moving.
Finish the whole dish off with some crisp bacon and zingy parsley, and you’re in for a healthy meal that tastes like comfort.
Enjoy even more simple yet gourmet meals like Mongolian Red Pepper Beef, Pan-Roasted Pork Chops, Poached Sablefish and other ridiculously tasty recipes. Get the Paleo Eats cookbook shipped to your door for FREE – just pay for shipping!
Get started right now with our FREE Paleo Starter Kit:
Inside, you’ll discover...
- 25 Delicious Paleo “Starter” Recipes
- Our complete “Paleo Food Swaps” guide
- A complete starter shopping list
- Tons more free resources
Total Time: 26 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 11 minutes
- 1/2 cup(s) bacon chopped
- 2/3 cup(s) cashews soaked and drained
- 3 tablespoon(s) nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon(s) garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) mustard powder
- 1/4 cup(s) lemon juice divided
- 1/2 cup(s) water divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 egg yolk(s)
- 1 tablespoon(s) garlic minced
- 6 cup(s) zucchini noodles
- 2 tablespoon(s) parsley chopped
- In a medium saute pan, cook the chopped bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, mustard powder, half of the lemon juice, ¼ cup of water, and salt and pepper to taste. Process for 1 to 2 minutes, until completely smooth.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a large mixing bowl until creamy, about 1 minute. Set aside.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside. Reserve the grease in the pan over medium-low heat.
- Add garlic to the pan. Cook 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the cashew mixture, remaining lemon juice, and ¼ cup water to pan. Heat until warmed through, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Transfer the cashew mixture to the mixing bowl with the eggs, whisking constantly until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Add the zucchini noodles and half of the bacon to the bowl. Toss to coat.
- Divide the zucchini noodles between 2 bowls. Garnish with the remaining bacon and chopped parsley.