This easy, versatile and protein-rich recipe is not only great for breakfast but also for special-occasion brunches. Jalapeno or green peppers, onions, scallions, chopped fresh greens and chorizo are just some of the additions that can be used in these eggs according to your taste. If you like your eggs more solid, feel free to cook them a little longer than 20 minutes. You can also make these in advance and reheat them.
|1||tablespoon(s)||bacon drippings, for brushing tins|
|1||medium||tomato(es), cut into slices|
|4||medium||mushroom(s), white button|
|1/2||teaspoon(s)||black pepper, freshly ground|
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until it begins to shrivel (about 3 minutes). Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
- Discard all but a shallow film of bacon fat in the bottom of the skillet.
- Brush 4 cups in a muffin tin or 4 small ramekins with bacon fat from the pan (per 2 servings)
- Add chopped onions and mushrooms to hot pan with remaining bacon drippings in the skillet and cook over medium heat until softened.
- Meanwhile, place a tomato slice in the bottom of each cup. Circle the inside of each cup with 1.5 strips of bacon.
- Break an egg into each muffin cup and season with pepper.
- Add sauteed mushrooms and onions over the egg.
- Fill any unused tins with water to protect from burning.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- To serve, loosen the edges of the eggs with spatula and transfer the eggs to plates.