This pot roast combines traditional ingredients like beef, onions, carrots, and celery with an elegant herb mixture including bay leaves, thyme, and oregano. Healthy beef tallow is used to brown the meat. You can use organic beef broth in place of the water in this recipe for additional flavor. Updated 11/17/15
|2||tablespoon(s)||beef tallow, (coconut oil may be substituted, but must be used carefully to avoid smoking and burning)|
|2||pound(s)||beef - pot roast(s), rump roast, or chuck shoulder|
|2||medium||onion(s), yellow, sliced|
|1||teaspoon(s)||sea salt, (optional)|
- Mix freshly ground black pepper, thyme, oregano and sea salt (optional) together in a small bowl.
- Rub mixture into meat on all sides of roast.
- Heat a medium skillet (if cooking in a crock pot) or heavy bottomed oven-proof pan (if cooking in the oven) over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons tallow when hot.
- Immediately sear all sides of the roast and set aside.
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Put roast in crock pot, add vegetables, bay leaf and water, and cook on high until tender (6-7 hours). Or, preheat oven to 325 F, add the vegetables, bay leaf and water to the heavy bottomed oven-proof pan with the meat, cover and roast for 2-3 hours.