Approximate Cook Time: 3-8 hours
- 2 tablespoon(s) beef tallow, (coconut oil may be substituted, but must be used carefully to avoid smoking and burning)
- 1 pound(s) beef - pot roast(s), rump roast, or chuck shoulder
- 2 medium onion(s), yellow, , sliced
- 3 medium carrot(s), , quartered
- 2 medium celery stalk(s)
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 1 whole bay leaf(s)
- 1 tablespoon(s) thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) oregano
- 1 teaspoon(s) sea salt, (optional)
- 3 cup(s) water
- Mix freshly ground black pepper, thyme, oregano and sea salt (optional) together in a small bowl.
- Rub mixture into meat on all sides of roast.
- Heat a medium skillet (if cooking in a crock pot) or heavy bottomed oven-proof pan (if cooking in the oven) over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons tallow when hot.
- Immediately sear all sides of the roast and set aside.
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Put roast in crock pot, add vegetables, bay leaf and water, and cook on high until tender (6-7 hours). Or, preheat oven to 325 F, add the vegetables, bay leaf and water to the heavy bottomed oven-proof pan with the meat, cover and roast for 2-3 hours.