Recipe makes 4 servings.
Approximate Cook Time: 3-8 hours
|2||tablespoon(s)||beef tallow, (coconut oil may be substituted, but must be used carefully to avoid smoking and burning)|
|2||pound(s)||beef - pot roast(s), rump roast, or chuck shoulder|
|2||medium||onion(s), yellow, , sliced|
|3||medium||carrot(s), , quartered|
|1||teaspoon(s)||sea salt, (optional)|
- Mix freshly ground black pepper, thyme, oregano and sea salt (optional) together in a small bowl.
- Rub mixture into meat on all sides of roast.
- Heat a medium skillet (if cooking in a crock pot) or heavy bottomed oven-proof pan (if cooking in the oven) over high heat. Add 2 tablespoons tallow when hot.
- Immediately sear all sides of the roast and set aside.
- Wash and prepare vegetables.
- Put roast in crock pot, add vegetables, bay leaf and water, and cook on high until tender (6-7 hours). Or, preheat oven to 325 F, add the vegetables, bay leaf and water to the heavy bottomed oven-proof pan with the meat, cover and roast for 2-3 hours.