Approximate Cook Time: 2 hours
- 1 tablespoon(s) coconut oil, tallow, bacon grease, or lard
- 1/2 medium onion(s), yellow, diced
- 3 medium celery stalk(s), diced
- 2 medium garlic clove(s), sliced
- 13/4 pound(s) bison, ground, (elk, venison, or beef may be substituted)
- 2 teaspoon(s) cumin
- 2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- 2 teaspoon(s) thyme
- 1 jar(s) salsa (12 oz)
- 1 can(s) tomatoes, diced (8 oz)
- 1 can(s) green chiles, mild (7 oz)
- 2 teaspoon(s) sea salt, (optional)
- Heat a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add coconut oil.
- Add onions, celery and garlic and saute until onions are translucent, about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Next, add ground bison, cumin, thyme, and chili powder.
- Stir while this cooks, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Pour in salsa, tomatoes, green chiles and salt.
- Simmer for at least 1 hour.